Close with Capstone - Title and Escrow in Northern Virginia

Georgetown Office:
1010 Wisconsin Ave, NW, Ste 600
Washington, DC 20007

McLean Office:
8100 Old Dominion Drive Ste. G
McLean, Virginia 22102

Frequently Asked Questions

What is title?

Title is a collective term that includes your legal right to own, possess, use, control and dispose of land. Title takes into account all previous ownership, uses and transferred. Title to property is transfer by a deed.

What is a title defect or encumbrance?

A title defect is something missing from the title, for example, an undisclosed heir from a previous owner who could make a claim on the land. An encumbrance is any right to or interest in land that affects its value (i.e., outstanding mortgage loans, unpaid taxes, easements, deed restrictions). If you are borrowing money to purchase land, your lender will require your title to be cleared of any outstanding defects or encumbrances before the land is transferred.

What is title insurance?

Title insurance provides coverage for things that may have happened in the past; as compared to homeowner's insurance which provides coverage for things that may happen in the future. Examples of possible title problems include undisclosed or missing heirs or improper deeds. More examples are listed below.

What are some examples of title problems?

• Forgery items such as forged deeds, release of deed of trust, power of attorney
• Mental Incompetence - someone signing a deed was not of sound mind when document was executed
• Mistakes in recording legal documents
• Undisclosed or missing heirs
• Misinterpretation of wills
• Errors in indexing
• Defective acknowledgments
• Improper corporate deeds
• Incorrect legal description
• Execution of a deed by a minor

Why do I need title insurance?

There are two types of title insurance policies:
• Lender's Title Policy (also called a loan policy): The lender's title policy covers the amount of the loan and provides protection to the lender. A lender's title policy usually does not represent the full property value.
• Owner's Title Policy: An owner's title policy protects the landowner and can cover the full property value. If a claim is made against the title, the title insurer must pay any and all costs associated with defense against the challenge, and, if unsuccessful in that defense, reimburse the landowner for any reduction in the value of the land.

What is a title search?

A title search is a detailed historical examination of the public records concerning a property. These records include deeds, court records, property and name indexes and many other public documents. The purpose of the search is to verify the seller's right to transfer ownership and to discover any defects or encumbrances on the title.

What kind of problems can a title search reveal?

A title search should show all title defects and encumbrances as well as liens and other restrictions. Among these are unpaid taxes, unsatisfied mortgages, judgments against the seller and restrictions limiting the use of the land.

Are there any problems that a title search cannot reveal?

Yes. There are some hidden hazards that even the most diligent title search may never reveal. For instance, the previous owner could have incorrectly stated his or her marital status, resulting in a possible claim by a legal spouse. Other hidden hazards include fraud and forgery, defective deeds, mental incompetence, confusion due to similar or identical names and clerical errors in the records. These defects can arise after you have purchased property and can jeopardize the right to ownership.

Can a deed serve as proof of ownership?

No. A deed is just a document used to show transfer of ownership and is evidence only that you have taken over whatever rights the seller had in the property. A deed does not eliminate the rights others may have, and a deed does not show the liens or claims that may be outstanding against the title.

The property owner already has title insurance. Why do I need another title search?

A title policy insuring the seller does not protect you. Many things could have happened to the land since that owner's policy was issued. Your seller could have a mortgage, a home equity loan, judgments or unpaid taxes that would not be covered in a seller's title policy.

Is title insurance as important as homeowner's insurance?

Absolutely. Homeowners insurance typically provides protection against theft, accidental damage or natural disaster such as a tornado, earthquake or hurricane. While these types of losses can certainly be substantial, losses from a defective title could be devastating. If a fire destroys your home, you can rebuild and buy new possessions. If the title to the land fails, you could lose the right to inhabit your home as well as the land it occupies.

What should I do if a title problem arises?

If a title problem arises, you would file a claim with the title insurance company. Filing instructions are found on the title policy jacket. The policy ensures that the title insurance company will defend your rights without you having to pay court costs and attorney fees. If you did not have owner's title coverage, you would have to pay an attorney out of your pocket to resolve the matter, the cost of which would be far greater than the one-time premium fee.

How much does title insurance cost?

Normally, title insurance is a settlement cost associated with any purchase or refinance transaction. Charges vary from state to state. The important thing to remember is that you pay for an owner's title policy only once when you purchase a property. The cost of an owner's title policy is based on the purchase price. The cost of a lender's title policy is based on the loan amount.

Do I have to pay for title insurance annually?

No. The title insurance premium for an owner's title policy is a one-time fee paid at settlement. The same is true of the lender's title policy, unless you refinance the loan. If you refinance, the lender will require you to purchase another lender's title policy. The cost of the premium will be based on the loan amount. If you never refinance the loan, then you will never have to pay for title insurance again for that particular property.

Do I need a new owner's title policy for a refinance?

No. The owner's title policy that you paid for when you purchased the property covers you for as long as you own the property. In other words, as long as your name is on the title, the owner's title policy will cover you. However, the lender/loan title policy is only in effect until the loan is repaid in full. If you ever refinance the loan, the lender will require a new title policy. The lender's title policy premium is determined by the loan amount.

How does title insurance protect my heirs?

A title insurance policy provides coverage from the time of its effective date back to the origin of title. After the property has passed to your heirs, if it is found that a title defect arose prior to the effective date of the policy, the title insurance company would defend the title for your heirs just as it would for you if you were alive.

Where can I get title insurance?

You can obtain title insurance from any licensed title insurance company or its agents operating in your state. When choosing a title insurer, it is important to look for a company with expertise and experience, as well as the financial strength to protect you should a claim arise. Capstone Title LLC is able to provide all your title insurance needs.

Can you come to our office or home to conduct the settlement?

Yes. Please contact Capstone Title LLC for additional details.

What if one of the parties is unable to attend the settlement?

If one of the parties is unable to attend the settlement, you need to contact us as soon as possible in advance of the settlement date. We either will make arrangements to send the documents to them or we will arrange for them to sign a Power of Attorney that complies with the applicable jurisdiction.
Note: If a loan is involved, the lender must approve the use of a Power of Attorney prior to settlement.

How will I know the cost of settlement?

Your lender will provide you with a "Good Faith Estimate" of your settlement costs. Also, you can call us to see if the lender has sent the closing instructions with the final figures. We will not be able to determine the amount of money you will need to bring to settlement until we receive the lender's instructions for completing the HUD-1 Settlement Statement. Closing costs must be paid with a cashier's check, money order, or cash. Personal checks are permitted ONLY IF the amount due is less than $500.

What do I need to bring with me to settlement for identification purposes?

A current picture I.D. (i.e., driver's license, passport, government issued identification).

What happens if the settlement does not occur?

For each transaction, title companies must incur costs in order to move settlement forward. At settlement, those fees are included on the HUD-1 Settlement Statement in order for the title company to be reimbursed. However, if settlement does not occur, you will be required to pay cancellation fees such as the cost of the title search and the survey.

What are the various ways I can take title?

When more than one person purchases real estate, there are three basic ways the purchasers may take title. There may be estate planning or tax planning considerations that may affect the decision as to how title should be taken. Consult with an attorney for further details.

1. TENANTS BY THE ENTIRETY This is a form of concurrent ownership which can be held only by a married couple. There is implicit right of survivorship with this type of tenancy so if one spouse predeceases the other, title to the property will automatically vest in the surviving spouse without the need of any further action by the surviving spouse. Neither spouse can individually convey or partition their respective interests in the property. Property held as Tenants by the Entirety is immune from the creditors of one spouse (except for Federal Tax Liens).

2. JOINT TENANCY (WITH THE RIGHT OF SURVIVORSHIP) Joint Tenancy is a co-tenancy that includes rights of survivor ship for non-married individuals so long as this right expressly noted on the deed. The intention to create a joint tenancy must be explicit, e.g. the deed should state that property is being granted to the co-owners “as joint tenants with the right of survivorship”.

• To create a valid joint tenancy, the following four unities of interest must be present:
• United of Time- interests of all co-tenants must vest at the same time.
• Unity of Title- interests of all co-tenants must be obtained via the same deed.
• Unity of Interest- all co-tenants must obtain equal interests.
• Unity of Possession- all co-tenants must have equal and concurrent rights to possess the property.

3. TENANTS IN COMMON In this type of co-tenancy, each party owns their share of the property as an individual with no right of survivorship. A tenant in common interests is fully devisable. A transfer of a tenant in common interest in the property does not require the signatures of all owners. The property may be subject to claims of a creditor of any owner. Any owner may cause a partition of the property.